Many production environments include explosive atmospheres due to the presence of flammable gases, vapors, mists or dust. Standard equipment cannot be used here safely, and it is often necessary to choose expensive explosion-safe components. In many cases, the use of a pressurized enclosure offers an interesting alternative to be able to use non-explosion-safe components in dangerous areas as well.
The protection method “pressurization” or "pressurized enclosure" is based on maintaining constant positive pressure of air or a protective gas in the interior of the housing. This prevents the possibility of an explosive mixture occurring in the vicinity of the components. In this way, an internally pressurized housing makes it possible to use non-explosion-safe equipment in Zones 1, 2, 21 and 22.
The use of standard control components gives the user considerable advantages:
- Simple installation and implementation
- Hardware and software compatibility and flexibility
- Verified functional modules, possibly even from a supplier
- Standard programming of the configuration
- Standard user interfaces
- Standard service and maintenance
An overpressure system consists of at least the following components:
- Housing that can resist the internal pressurization and is adequately leak tight
- Control unit, for example FS840, FS850S and FS870S
- Electrically actuated valve for ingoing air
Gönnheimer, specialist in explosion-safe electronics
Gönnheimer products and solutions stand out for their innovative character, and are developed in close consultation with clients from the pharmaceutical, chemical and petrochemical industries. Developing machine-specific solutions is among the Gönnheimer core competences. High quality is guaranteed because all its products are fully developed and produced in-house. The service does not end at the warehouse door: technical support, advice and after sales are emphasized.